General terms and conditions for bike rental and bike tours
Definition of terms
Bicycle: the (e-)bike and/or any other item that is comprised by the contract
Customer: the natural person or legal entity purchasing the bike rental and/or bike tour service from A-Bike
A-Bike: A-Bike BV, the company offering the bike rental and bike tour services according to these terms and conditions
Rider: the person actually riding the bicycle
Written: in writing or electronically
Article 1: applicability
These general terms and conditions apply to all contracts between A-Bike and customers for bike tours and/or bike rental, including accessories like helmets and child seats.
Article 2: offer and agreement
1. According to the wishes of the customer, A-Bike makes a written or oral offer. The offer contains (where applicable) the name of the service (bike rental or bike tour), rental period, and price. Furthermore, it states the opening hours and telephone number of the company, the manner of payment, and the type of deposit.
2. The contract is established when the customer accepts an offer from A-Bike.
3. A-Bike will retain ownership of rented bikes and accessories at all times.
Article 3: price and duration
1. The customer is not allowed to return a rented bicycle after the date and time stated in the contract. Bikes must be returned to the same branch and during the business hours of A-Bike (low season: 9.00am-18.00pm, high season 09:00am-21.00pm, always 7 days a week, for more information please check on www.a-bike.eu).
2. One day is considered to be 24 hours.
3. A-Bike is not obliged to give any refund for rented bikes that are returned before the end of the contractual period.
4. For each hour that the rental period is exceeded A-Bike is entitled to charge customers 20% of the daily rental price on top of the actual rental price, with a maximum charge of 5 hours for the first day. For each following day, a maximum of 150% of the rental price can be charged.
5. If the bicycle is not returned on time, A-Bike is entitled to take back the bicycle immediately.
Article 4: cancellations
1. When customer cancels a bike rental or bike tour:
a. Up until 4 days before the tour or start of the bike rental, 0% of the price will be charged.
b. Between 4 and 1 day(s) in advance, 50% of the price will be charged.
c. 1 day or less in advance, 100% of the price will be charged.
2. Regarding cancellations, noon (12.00pm, local Amsterdam time) on the day of the tour or start of the bike rental will be taken as the countdown moment. For example, a cancellation on the 1st of the month at 12.05pm for a bike rental on the 2nd will be charged 100%; a cancellation at 11.55am on the 1st will be charged 50%.
3. Cancellations outside of business hours ((low season: 9.00am-18.00pm, high season 09:00am-21.00pm, always 7 days a week, for more information please check on www.a-bike.eu) can only be made via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Article 5: payment and deposit
1. Payment for both the bike rental and the bike tours need to be done in advance.
2. A deposit is needed for each bike (except for bikes used on the tour). The deposit consists of:
a. A photocopy of a valid ID and €50 (to be paid in cash or with a debit/credit card) OR;
b. A photocopy of a valid ID and a photocopy of a valid credit card.
3. The deposit will be paid back in cash as soon as the bicycle is returned. In the event of damage for A-Bike, the amount charged for the damage will be subtracted from the deposit or, in case of a photocopy of a credit card, will be charged to the credit card.
Article 6: obligations for the customer
1. Customer must treat the bicycle well and in accordance with its actual purpose.
2. Customer must return the bicycle to A-Bike in its original condition. Any changes or additions by or on behalf of the customer must be undone.
3. By renting a bicycle or joining a bicycle tour, the customer declares to be:
a. In good physical condition, i.e. not suffering from any medical diseases or complaints that influence their riding ability.
b. Able to properly ride a bicycle.
4. A-Bike reserves the right to judge the capacities and abilities of a customer or rider prior to the use of a bicycle.
5. Both for bike rental and bike tours, the customer must obey all traffic laws and instructions from A-Bike staff.
6. The customer/rider must behave as a good renter/rider, which means he:
a. Is not permitted to sublet or sublease the bicycle.
b. Is not permitted to give the bicycle to a person other than the rider.
c. Is not permitted to take the bicycle outside of The Netherlands.
d. Is not permitted to ride on a city bike with more than 2 persons or on a tandem bike with more than 3 persons.
e. Must ensure that the person who is contractually indicated as the rider is legally permitted, and physically and mentally fit enough to ride a bicycle.
f. Must secure loads on the bicycle with due care.
g. Is not permitted to continue using the bicycle if it’s damaged, when its use can lead to aggravation of the damage or affects traffic safety.
Article 7: additional instructions for the customer
1. The customer must return the bicycle in a clean condition. Cleaning costs with a minimum of €10 may be charged.
2. Customers must bring a copy of the contract with them upon returning the bike.
3. Each bike is equipped with two locks. Customers must never leave the bicycle unattended unless properly locked. A-Bike staff will demonstrate correct use of the locks.
4. At the start of the rental or tour, the customer needs to check the bicycle and report any possible defects to A-Bike staff. When the defect(s) cannot be repaired instantly, the customer is permitted to have a replacement bike. As soon as the customer leaves the A-Bike shop, he accepts the condition of the bicycle.
5. In case any problems with the bicycle occur in Amsterdam, the customer needs to visit one of the two A-Bike shops in Amsterdam (Tesselschadestraat 1E or Rokin 105). A-bike does not reimburse any repairs performed by other companies. When the damage occurs outside of Amsterdam, A-Bike will only reimburse repairs performed by another company if:
a. The damage, kind of repair, and costs of the repair are